The United Kingdom’s Department for International Trade has released details on its temporary tariff regime in case a Brexit deal cannot be reached. During the temporary regime, which would be monitored closely by the UK government, British businesses would not pay customs duties on the majority of goods when importing into the UK. Under the temporary tariff, 87 percent of total imports to the UK by value would be eligible for tariff free access. Tariffs would still apply to the remaining 13 percent of goods, including:
- a mixture of tariffs and quotas on beef, lamb, pork, poultry and some dairy.
- Finished vehicles; however, car makers relying on EU supply chains would not face additional tariffs on car parts imported from the EU to prevent disruption to supply chains
- AD/CVD cases.
A full list of products under the temporary tariff regime can be found here.