On Tuesday, July 26 NAEGA submitted comments to the Government of Mexico following a request for consultations by the Secretaria de Economia on negotiations of the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA). NAEGA’s comments laid out negotiating priorities, including:
- Maintaining all market access and tariff concessions.
- Creating a Rapid Response Mechanism.
- Enhancing science based SPS rules.
- Adopting risk management and risk assessment procedures that prevent the use of non-tariff barriers that lack scientific merit.
- Promoting regulatory consistency and cooperation provisions.
- Strengthening efforts to address TBT matters.
- Increasing transparency and cooperation on modern agricultural production technologies.
- Enabling the innovation of information technologies that improve logistics and regulatory implementation to facilitate trade.
- Ensuring safe, orderly and secure passage for rail and truck freight transportation with member countries.
A copy of the comments can be found here.