This week NAEGA joined NGFA in a letter to the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Agricultural Marketing Service regarding the staffing of the Grain Inspection Advisory Committee. The letter expresses the continued belief that the Advisory Committee has value in providing expert advice and assistance to AMS in fulfilling its core mission of ensuring that Official inspections are performed in a reliable, consistent and uninterrupted manner to facilitate the export of U.S. grains and oilseeds to global customers. However, the letter recommends that the committee could be improved by:
- Increasing the number of grain handling experts on the committee
- Strengthening appointments
- Restoring appointment of alternates to the committee
- Enhancing the geographic and industry diversity of members
- Promoting fresh perspectives
A copy of the letter can be found here.